Recent restructuring changes were hindering perceptions of what it’s like to work at Kennametal (www.kennametal.com). Although the company wasn’t in an active recruiting period, these perceptions intervened with the company’s ability to recruit top candidates quickly.
The solution: Social media employment branding
IBM Employment Branding, a division of IBM Talent Acquisition Optimization, developed compelling messaging for the company’s social media platforms—Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn—to express Kennametal’s authentic culture.
Through ongoing content creation and management of candidate conversations on these platforms, IBM Employment Branding communicated the characteristics of a successful Kennametal employee, information about the Kennametal hiring process, and social proof through career spotlights and employee testimonials.
Content for social media posts is based on key themes of Kennametal’s culture that IBM Employment Branding uncovered through in-depth culture research:
- Brilliant solution seekers: employees see problems as challenges and enjoy solving them
- Proud past, better future: Kennametal has a proud history, a loyal workforce and world-class products
- Cut your own path: employees have the ability to develop their skills and build a career path at Kennametal
- People skills required: people skills are just as important as technical skills
- We do things right: Kennametal doesn’t compromise on its code of ethics . . . ever
With these cultural guideposts as the source for Kennametal’s social employment branding, the resulting work was consistent, resonated with prospective candidates and had that genuine Kennametal feeling.
The average cross-channel (Facebook and Twitter) engagement per post jumped 185% in the first three months the strategy was live.
Consistent, proactive social media messaging has changed perceptions by:
- Providing a great candidate experience. Candidates have a platform for expressing their interest in working for Kennametal. In addition, any candidate who engages in conversation with Kennametal on social media is responded to quickly and given as much detail as possible to their inquiry.
- Connecting candidates with recruiters. Because Kennametal is an RPO client of IBM Talent Acquisition Optimization, the social media manager can connect candidates who engage with the company on social media directly with the appropriate recruiter. The recruiting team is able to connect these candidates with opportunities that align with their skill sets.
- Showing that a strong career is possible at Kennametal. Candidates can see themselves learning and growing in a meaningful career at Kennametal.
- Creating brand ambassadors. Kennametal employees are an important part of the company’s social media audience. They have access to content that they can share on their own feeds to express their excitement and passion for working at Kennametal.
“Our overall experience partnering with IBM Employment Branding has been a positive step in communicating with prospective team members we may not otherwise attract,” said Kennametal Human Resources Director Marc Lippa. “IBM’s practical yet creative solutions have helped to accurately position our company’s culture and is telling our value proposition story to both internal and external talent.”
At the forefront of advanced materials innovation for more than 75 years, Kennametal Inc. is a global industrial technology leader delivering productivity to customers through materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 11,000 employees are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive. Kennametal generated nearly $2.1 billion in revenue in fiscal 2016. Learn more at www.kennametal.com.